Philippe Leduc: Stabat Mater 37

Lucas Cranach the Elder, Lamentation beneath the Cross, Alte Pinakothek, Munich, 1503

Philippe Leduc, Stabat Mater 37

Click to read about Philippe Leduc.

Click to read about the Stabat Mater.

Click for more information about Philippe Leduc and his two Stabat Maters from Stabatmater.info.

Click to listen to Philippe Leduc, Stabat Mater 37; Mary-Lou Gauthier, soprano; Pavel Kuhn, choir director; The Free Symphony of Prague, Mario Klemens conducting.

Stabat Mater dolorosa
Iuxta crucem lacrimosa
Dum pendebat Filius.

The grieving Mother stood
beside the cross weeping
where her Son was hanging.

Cuius animam gementem
Contristatam et dolentem
Pertransivit gladius.

Through her weeping soul,
compassionate and grieving,
a sword passed.

O quam tristis et afflicta
Fuit illa benedicta
Mater unigeniti!

O how sad and afflicted
was that blessed
Mother of the Only-begotten!

Quae moerebat et dolebat,
Et tremebat cum videbat
Nati poenas incliti.

Who mourned and grieved,
and trembled with seeing
the torment of her glorious Son.

I. Lord, forgive me. Let me ask Mother Mary how could she live through the death of her baby. How could she stand the treason of her precious and only son. Of her pain, no one heard not even a word.

II. Lord, forgive me. Did you ask Holy Mary what it meant to lose the Fruit of her womb? How could I stand the treason of my precious and only son. Of my pain no one heard not even a word. But you, only you My Lord.